In response to the world health crisis that emerged in 2020, RUBIS reacted immediately, setting up an emergency fund to assist its 21 countries, in which we operate, around the world in the fight against Covid-19.
The emergency fund was created to support local associations, Ministries of Health, hospitals, charities, education establishments and frontline workers in tackling the health crisis. In Europe, Africa and the Caribbean, RUBIS subsidiaries assisted on the ground with multiple donations in almost 30 countries, totaling over US$2 million. Here are some highlights:
- Donation to the Foundation Public Assistance – Hospitals of Paris for Research to support caregivers and research the fight against Covid-19
- Donation to the IHU Liryc (Bordeaux Hospital) with specific emphasis on researching the impact of the virus on heart infections.
- Rubis Energy Portugal and Rubis Channel Islands donated fuel vouchers to disadvantaged persons in society and caregivers.
- Vitogas Espana donated tablets to a retirement home.
- Vitogaz Switzerland provided food aid with a donation to the Biel soup kitchen.
- Rubis Energy Kenya set up mobile hand-washing stations in six disadvantaged Nairobi communities.
- Our Nigeria operations participated in the “Colors on Walls” project which raised awareness of good sanitary practices amongst schoolchildren.
- In Djibouti and Morocco, support was given to the medical sector via fuel and propane donations for healthcare staff and institutions.
- Galana and Vitogaz in Madagascar donated fuel to the fire brigade and gas cylinders for preparation of meals for the homeless in addition to providing hand sanitizer for public transport in the city of Antananarivo.
- In South Africa and Botswana, Easigas donated LPG to nearly 25 associations working with the underprivileged.
- SRPP in Reunion Island and Eres Togo provided donations of masks and hand sanitizer gel.
- Rubis Energy Bermuda distributed fuel vouchers to Meals on Wheels and other charities
- Rubis Bahamas supported many organisations and charities through its Rubis Cares initiative
- Rubis Jamaica donated PPE, alcohol and personal care items to many hospitals and organisations across the country
Here in the Eastern Caribbean, we supported many organisations in the field of education, health and community outreach to assist frontline workers, children and those in need at this critical time.
During 2021, RUBIS will continue to assist the communities in which we operate in our commitment to fight Covid-19.